The holiday season is a time for joy and celebration, but it’s also when package theft and security concerns escalate. With more than 1.7 million packages going missing or stolen each year in the USA, totaling up to $25 million in lost goods and services, it’s crucial to take proactive steps to protect your deliveries and ensure your personal and home safety during this festive time. Here are a few practical tips:
Protect Package Deliveries
- Require a Signature for Delivery: Consider requiring a signature for your package deliveries. This adds an extra layer of security, ensuring your packages aren’t in the wrong hands.
- Use Package Tracking: Leverage the tracking features provided by delivery services like UPS or FedEx. This allows you to monitor the status and location of your packages in real-time, providing valuable information about their whereabouts.
- Install Security Cameras: Set up security cameras around your home to deter potential thieves. Visible cameras act as a powerful deterrent, and in the unfortunate event of theft, they can provide crucial evidence for law enforcement.
- Deliver to a Secure Location: If possible, have your packages delivered to a secure location, such as a locker or a trusted neighbor’s house. This minimizes the risk of packages being left unattended on your doorstep.
Stay Safe While Shopping
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Stay alert and conscious of your surroundings when shopping at a mall. Avoid distractions and stay focused on your surroundings to spot any potential risks.
- Keep Personal Belongings Secure: Keep your personal belongings, such as wallets and phones, secure and within sight. Consider using a crossbody bag or a backpack with secure closures.
- Avoid Displaying Valuables Openly: Refrain from openly displaying valuable items, costly jewelry or substantial amounts of cash. Keep such items in discreet and secure locations.
- Use Well-Lit and Populated Areas: Opt for well-lit and populated areas when shopping. Avoid dark or isolated corners, as they provide opportunities for theft or unwanted incidents.
- Trust Your Instincts: Listen to your instincts. If something feels off or uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to seek assistance from mall security or store personnel.
- Park in Well-Lit Areas: Choose well-lit parking spots close to the mall entrance. Well-lit areas deter criminals and provide a safer environment.
- Avoid Isolated Spots: Avoid parking in isolated areas, as they can make you an easy target. Opt for spots near security cameras and with good visibility.
- Lock Your Car: Always lock your car and roll up windows, even if you only step away for a brief time. This simple step can prevent opportunistic theft.
- Hide Valuables: Conceal valuables in your car or take them with you. Don’t leave tempting items in plain sight, as it may attract unwanted attention.
Protect Your Home
- Use Timers for Lights: Create the illusion of an occupied home by using timers for lights. This can deter burglars who may be monitoring neighborhoods for vacant houses.
- Ask Neighbors for Assistance: Request neighbors to collect your mail and any packages left at your doorstep—an accumulation of mail signals an empty home.
- Avoid Social Media Announcements: Refrain from sharing your travel plans on social media. Broadcasting your absence can make your home a target for burglars.
- Ensure Doors and Windows Are Locked: Prioritize the basics – lock all doors and windows before leaving your home. This is a simple yet effective step to enhance security.
- Consider a Security System: Invest in a home security system for added protection. Modern systems offer remote monitoring and instant alerts in case of suspicious activity.
- Dispose of Packaging Discreetly: When discarding packaging from expensive purchases, do so discreetly. Avoid leaving boxes at the curb that showcase the valuable items inside.
During the holidays, taking proactive steps to safeguard your deliveries, shopping experiences, and home security is essential. By implementing these practical tips, you can reduce the risk of package theft and enhance overall safety during this festive time. Stay vigilant, trust your instincts, and enjoy a secure and joyful holiday season!